His Excellency Abdul Aziz Al Ghurair has been Chairman of the UAE Banks Federation since 2012, a position that entails dealing with the key issues facing the country’s banking sector, encouraging cooperation between banks and promoting the important role banks play in the economy and the wider community. He is also the CEO of Mashreq Group and member of the Board of Directors of Abdulla Al Ghurair Group, one of the biggest businesses in the Middle East with operations in more than 20 countries.
His Excellency’s current positions include Chairman of Abdullah Al Ghurair Foundation, one of the leading institutional philanthropic initiatives focused on education. Other positions include Chairman of the Executive Committee of Al Ghurair Investment, Vice Chairman of the Higher Board of Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC); Member of the Board of the Emirates Foundation; Chairman of Masafi Company, Oman Insurance; President of FBN GCC, a non-profit international network for family businesses; and a Trustee of New York University President’s Global Council.
HE Al Ghurair was elected as The Speaker of the United Arab Emirates Federal National Council (UAE Parliament) for tenure of four years, which ended in February 2011. He has previously sat on the Board of Directors of major companies such as Emaar, Dubai Investments, visa International, MasterCard and the Dubai Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and has been Co-Chairman of the Arab Business Council – World Economic Forum (WEF). He was also a member of the Constitutive Council for GCC Leaders and President of The Knowledge Fund.
His Excellency has been recognised multiple times in leading awards, conferences and seminars, both international and local, and he is a five-times recipient of Lifetime Achievement Awards. His awards include:
• Business Leader of the Year from Gulf Business Industry Award 2016 and 2017.
• Banking Business Leader of the Year from Gulf Business Industry Award 2017.
• Arab Banker of the Year award 2015-2016 from The Union of Arab Banks (UAB) in Rome, Italy.
• Innovator of the Year Award – Gulf Business Industry Award 2014.
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Gulf Business Industry Awards 2012
• Best CEO Award - CEO Middle East magazine 2008.
• Lifetime Achievement Award - The Arab Bankers Association of North America (ABANA) – USA in 2008.
• Best CEO Award for supporting Emiratisation initiative in UAE from the National Career Fair - Banking and Finance in 2008.
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Euromoney in 2008.
• Lifetime Achievement Award – Banker Middle East 2009.
• Best Banking Contributing Personality Award – Banker Middle East 2011.
• MEED Leadership Award 2011.
• The Arab Banker of the Year in the Private Sector Award
2010-2011 from The Union of Arab Banks (UAB) in Rome, Italy.
HE Al Ghurair has an honours degree in industrial engineering from California Polytechnic State University.